Well after the test run and seeing the software for the CNC machine handled everything fine I decided to throw on of the giant slabs of 1" acrylic on the machine and let it go at it. Everything went well for the most part, had to flip the part over to mill the other sad and that is where things went slightly array. I didn't remember to account for the fact that I took off almost a 1mm from the other side when I surfaced it, so I didn't need to re-run the oring channels as they are only .04mm out of spec. Overall I'm damn happy with how it came out! The fillet along the dual pump cavities is smooth and amazing, and the ramp from pump 1 outlet into pump 2 outlet came out amazing! Now the question is do I polish these or do I leave them with the machine marks. Kinda like the look of the machined marks right now.
Mid Plate / Reservoir Plate Done!
Got a chance to mill out the Mid Plate / Reservoir plate this weekend. Got all said and done and realized I really don't have a good anti-cyclone built into the reservoir and I've got the reservoir return line and the pump inlet about 3-4 inches apart from each other. So I've milled a separator that will have a groove milled into the bottom of the top plate to hold it in place. You can see it in the last picture. After getting them stacked I realized I'll have to polish the flat surfaces or you just won't be able to see. Debating if I will polish the channels or not. Thoughts?
Decided to sand all the acrylic.....now I know what hell is like. Probably one of the most tedious parts of doing the distro plates. Decided to sand them after I noticed some gumming on a couple of the outer edges.
Taking a break from working on the distro plates and decided to do some work on the case, this isn't finished yet but a sneak peek of what is to come.
Social Distancing for the win!
Able to get some work done on this due to working from home and social distancing. Get the new distro plate cut out and tested, no leaking this time around. Hopefully when I cleaned it out and bolted it back together it doesn't leak the second time ;) Got the bottom panel created and mounted along with the pump. Sleeved some of the cables this weekend as well. Glad I bought mine from Ensourced as the six I did was more than enough to learn I didn't wanna do a whole PSU.
First Test Plate is done!
After a lot of double-checking code and rechecking code I put the first bit to acrylic over the weekend. Results came out better than I could ever hope for the first go about! Alot came out right, all the holes are where they should be, screws fit where they should. Realized my threadmill is a 60° taper to it instead of the 55° the G1/4 uses. Fittings still fit but decided to go ahead and purchase the right thread mill for G1/4. Also realized I mistakenly mismeasured the length of it. So will need to extend some portions and re-run the plate again, need to for the fittings anyways. Sorry for the terrible lighting in the case, It is sitting directly under the lights.
Acrylic and Bits!
Since the CNC is done I ordered a bunch of bits from Onsrud to specifically cut acrylic and some this Acrylic Plates for the design I had come up with. Have two 1" pieces of Acrylic and then a smaller 3/8" for the top plate. Trying to make a multi-tiered distro plate. Maybe ambitious for my first build, first time cncing or anything to do with it.
Parts are in!
Got all the parts in, for the time being, picked up Phanteks 400A to house everything in and a Noctua NF-U12 to cool the 3950X. This update from the 9900K to the 3950X has really helped out with the CAD work and the rendering of projects the extra threads are so nice. No picks of it's temp home as it just your standard build for now. Would rather focus on work on the distro plate design and CAM work.
A year in the building.
This build started last year when I started designing custom distro plates for a previous case that I had, I ended up building a CNC machine and enclosure in the basement while I waited for Zen 2's release. I started buying parts for it in December of 2018 and finished the build just before Xmas of 2019. It is a 1m x 1m with a 2.2KW watercooled spindle.