First PC build after using a prebuilt i7-920/3gb ddr3/ATI 4850 1gb GPu for nearly a decade. Decided to treat myself to something capable of 1440p gaming as well as 3D modelling and course work.
Cpu wise went the AMD route as the price/performance was much better than Intel, and creating models and exporting them would benefit from the extra core counts.
Gpu wise went AMD as well. With the fall of the mining craze and the release of the RTX series GTX stock dried up pretty quickly around me, and Vega cards started dropping in price and managed to get a reference card at a good price.
After a bit of undervolting and overclocking on the Vega 64 I was not happy with the thermals, or the noise it produced. After seeing many good results with the Morpheus cooler. I picked one up, and after much trial and error I gave up on trying to use it. I couldn't keep the hot spot temperatures reasonable and decided to switch over to an AIO.
Mounting an aio to the gpu was not too tedious, given that I had the tools at my disposal. I measured the hole spacing on the PCB, 64mm for anyone interested. Then drilled the included intel mounting plate to accept the hole spacing. To cool the vrms I used the small heatsinks that were included with the morpheus kit and attached a fan to the pcb to cool them. After this mod the temperatures and core clocks were much better and noise levels reduced to an acceptable 37-40db under full load.
Mounting the aio radiator took some thought however. I originally had planned to utilize the top of my case to mount the radiator, but the Phantex p350x does not accept a 240mm radiator at the top, only a front and rear (120mm) aio. I had to get creative, so i cut out the backside of my case and drilled new holes for the fans and radiator. I sacrificed all my PCIe slots since they needed to be removed for the radiator to fit, but that was not really a concern, since my gpu is vertically mounted.
Originally the 2700 was cooled with a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi, with 2 fans in a push/pull configuration. However, cooling was always a problem, and after reading an article how the H7 underperforms vastly on Ryzen systems, I opted for an AIO.